Between your adjustments at the clinic you can help yourself by: –
- Maintaining a good posture while walking, sitting and standing. Try to avoid twisting your neck and back while watching TV or operating a PC or game console
- Trying to eat a healthy and balanced diet. Having more fruit and vegetables in your diet provides nutrients to help your body heal itself. Try to eat less flour products, sugars, caffeine and alcohol.
- Taking regular exercise. Walking is very good for the spine. Try not to sit for too long either at the TV or the PC. Get out of your chair and stretch every half an hour or so.
- Avoiding over reaching for things and keeping heavy weights as close as possible to your body. Use your legs to lift, trying to keep your spine from bending to far forward.
- Trying to sleep on your back or sides supporting your legs with pillows if necessary. Avoid lying on your front, this may strain your back and neck.
- Drinking plenty of water – this helps to keep skin healthy and help flush out toxins from your system.
- Using an ice pack. Ice is a great anti-inflammatory. If you feel uncomfortable or in pain try applying an ice pack to the affected area. Try this for 30 minutes, applying the ice pack (wrapped in a cloth to avoid frostbite!!) for 10 minutes, then off for 10 minutes and then on again for 10 minutes. This can be done every couple of hours.